Services Provided by the DPOANI

The current membership of the DPOA comprises of 120 members, 90% who have suffered and continue to endure the aftermath of appalling injuries at the hands of terrorists, the remaining 10% suffered serious permanent injury while carrying out normal policing duties.

Membership of the Association provides members with:

Monthly Away Days

Monthly Away Days provide the opportunity for members to travel around the Province to meet with old friends and ex-colleagues, have lunch and some entertainment in safe surroundings in their local areas.

Art Classes

Art Classes are provided for those who find painting therapeutic and a day out.

Computer training

Computer Training can be arranged at the Police Rehabilitation Unit, or in the members own home and recently was arranged in a nursing home when a computer was supplied for a member who has been in residential care since being shot in 1972 at the age of 30.

Home and Hospital visits

Home and Hospital visits to members and spouses are made by the Directors and their wives.

Time Outs

Time Outs for members and their carers, specially organised weekends where alternative therapies are demonstrated.

 

The DPOA receives no Government core funding towards salaries or running costs. Ongoing internal projects are supported by grant aid from the EU Special Support Scheme for Peace and ReconciliationNorthern Ireland Police Fund, contributions from the Greater Manchester Police and voluntary donations.

The current membership of the DPOA comprises 120 members. Many have suffered appalling injuries not only at the hands of terrorists but also while carrying out normal policing duties. See our Members Stories Section.

Donate to DPOANI